New Digital Fabrication Lab and Immersive Visualisation Lab at the University of Plymouth
The School of Art, Design and Architecture at the University of Plymouth is spearheading the local development of digital skills, resources, research and academic programmes for digital and creative innovation. A battery of new talent pipelines and facilities are soon-to-be accessible for local industry partners and cultural organisations in order to develop the future products, services and experiences with a focus on digital fabrication and manufacturing, and immersive media technologies.
At the heart of these efforts is the Design Lab, a cross-disciplinary environment where our students, industry partners, academic and technical staff, and community groups can work together on the delivery of innovative solutions to Industry challenges. Our partnership with a range of different Schools and areas of expertise will feed into the Design Lab by associate tutors, guest lecturers and collaborative research, including the areas of computing and robotics, manufacturing and materials, built environment, data and sensing, and the creative sector.
What resources are available?
The new labs and postgraduate courses are set to open in September 2019. A stream of digital innovation courses address a complete undergraduate-postgraduate talent pipeline, including:
– BA Immersive Media (to open in 2020)
The new labs will include state of the art equipment, including:
– SLS 3D printing (including biocompatible, dental and casting resin)
– FDM 3D printing (including multi-material 3D printing, flexible 3D printing, etc)
– UV 3D printing (high resolution UV sintering 3D printing)
– High resolution and spatial 3D scanning
– Robotic manufacturing applications including a 6-axis robotic arm.
– 4-axis computer-controlled milling
– Large format computer-controlled milling
– Motion capture
– AV/VR visualisation (including head mounted displays)
– Immersive full-dome projection
For more information please contact our Knowledge Exchange team at the University of Plymouth: https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/business-partners/creative-economy/the-bridge